Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Leadership Principles 1-3

After spending the last decade in a start-up environment, I have recently joined the senior team at a more established global organization.  This has made me reflect on some things that I learned about leadership and management earlier in my career, when I was at a large organization.  Here are a few:

  1. Good leaders help synthesize a compelling vision that motivates people and helps guide their action.
  2. But good leaders don't just enunciate a vision; they also create a context that enables their teams to succeed.
  3. Good leaders assemble teams with a variety of backgrounds and perspectives relevant to the opportunities and challenges at hand.  And then they create processes that enable these perspectives to be productively brought to bear as teams plan, debate, and execute.

More to come. I welcome your comments, corrections, and additions.

Share on Facebook