Thursday, March 13, 2008

Welcome BRAC!

"I am wondering whether you would consider adding BRAC projects to GlobalGiving?"

Would we?! We would love to. That is what I told my friend Susan Davis on the phone a couple of months ago. She was calling to say that she was helping BRAC launch an enhanced US presence.I get a lot of calls like this, but few that make me so happy. In my view, BRAC is one of the absolute best community-based NGOs operating in the world today. Founded in Bangladesh 1972, BRAC has helped millions of people better their lives through training, education, health programs, and job creation. They have recently expanded their programs to Afghanistan, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Tanzania, Uganda and Southern Sudan.
Fazle Abed, BRAC Founder
I like BRAC's programs and impact, but I also like its high "impact-to-ego ratio." The organization's DNA comes from its founder, Fazle Abed. His exceptional competence is matched only by his modesty and quiet sense of humor. No grandstanding or flashy speeches with Fazle Abed - just quiet action, on a large scale, with a smile.

BRAC has two projects in Sudan listed on GlobalGiving. Check out this one: you can fund a child's entire education for a year for only $100. And what's best is that you know BRAC will be there to oversee the education and other services the child needs to grow up to be healthy, happy, and prosperous.