Tuesday, September 18, 2007

And now for something completely...technical



My platform shoes from "Saturday Night Fever" are in my closet. I don't wear them, but once in a while I peek at them.

-John Travolta

When I was a kid in the 1960s and 70s, "platforms" frequently referred to a certain type of shoes, which were all the rage. Nowadays, a platform generally refers to a "system that can be programmed and customized by outside users."

Those are the words of Marc Andreessen, the creator of Mosaic (the first real web browser) and then co-founder of Netscape. He has recently founded an interesting service called Ning, a new type of web platform.

If you want to learn about both startups and technical issues related to web software and services, his blog is an excellent place to start. He has the ability to give the reader a broad overview with just the right level of technical detail. He is also a great writer.

And if you have been hearing about Facebook's amazing new "thing" but can't understand what people are so excited about, I highly recommend this blog post by Marc.