Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Help, let me out!

Today I read an email that went something like:

"Hi, I am writing to tell you that I am leaving my organization. I feel I'm spinning my wheels here. There are so many things we could be doing, but nothing ever seems to happen, and there is no willingness or even interest in changing the way things are done."

I see this all the time. The writer is late 20s, smart as heck, creative, and very motivated. But the organization - a well respected and longstanding pillar of the community - cannot make use of the energy or new ideas.

We are entering a new age where organizations that are unable to harness the potential of their people will be unable to survive. I feel bad for the writer's late employer, because it may well fade into irrelevance after making a major contribution to the field in the last twenty years.